They popped the question over lunch, about a year ago. Freelance food writer Robyn Eckhardt of the blog Eating Asia, and professional food photographer David Hagerman brought up this event at Cafe Rouge in Berkeley, CA. We had met to celebrate their book deal for a Turkish cookbook (I coached Robyn on the book proposal), which sold to Rux Martin. What did I think, they ventured, about a Turkish workshop on food writing and food photography in 2015?
I had to think about it for, maybe 10 seconds. Let’s see:
- Picturesque village of Alcati, on the Aegean and famous for its stone houses and narrow streets. Check.
- Lots of Turkish food, which fuses Central Asian, Caucasian, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean and Balkan cuisines. Check.
- Near the beach and Ephesus. Check.
- Gorgeous accommodations, covered in Conde Nast Traveller and Travel & Leisure. Check.
- A chance to hang out with two professionals I enjoy and learn from them. Check.