10 More Links for Food Bloggers and Writers

by diannejacob on September 4, 2013

Just thought I’d get your attention. These are pastries from Tartine Bakery in San Francisco.

A while ago I decided to start sharing links from my quarterly newsletter.

The post was so successful, ricocheting around Twitter and Facebook, that I’ve decided to post a list after each newsletter comes out.

So, in the meantime, sign up for the Will Write for Food newsletter. You’ll get only four emails per year, with the next one at the end of September. It’s filled with useful info for food writers, bloggers, recipe developers, cookbook authors and social media mavens. There are lots of links, not just the ones listed in my posts.

And now, here are 10 links from my most recent newsletter. They should keep you busy until my next newsletter arrives:

1. Sharing Recipes on Facebook, Pinterest, and Google+. Good advice on how to post recipes ethically and how to contact people who are violating copyright. On a similar theme, check out this piece on copyright myths.

2. Amy Sherman told me how she uses this site to manage her clips. It’s free. If you need a website where editors can see your work, this is a great idea.

3.  How to (Really) Make $1,000,000 Selling E-Books – Real-World Case Studies. Forget the overblown title. If you want to make and sell an e-book, here’s a long post with tons of practical information.

4. Multiple award-winning writer David Leite divulges How to Liven Up Your Food Writing on video.

5. About to write a query letter to literary agents? See this post with 11 pitch letters that worked.

6. If you are a book author, you need to know about Goodreads (recently acquired by Amazon). It’s a powerful place to promote your books and some authors are on it daily.

7. Jennifer Bain caused a sensation when she revealed the details of her cookbook deal in the Toronto Star, followed by another feature about the photo shoot. There’s lots of inside information here that make both pieces worth a read.

8. The Association for Food Journalists recently updated its guidelines for food critics.

9. Think you know Google Analytics? Read 20 Must Know Tips and Tricks to Master Google Analytics Data to test your understanding or learn something new.

10. Bloggers Replace Mom’s Recipe Box as Source of Food Knowledge. Half of all consumers use social media sites to learn about food.

{ 38 comments }

Averie @ Averie Cooks September 4, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Thanks for sharing all these wonderful links, Dianne!

diannejacob September 5, 2013 at 9:22 am

My pleasure Averie. Great to hear from you.

La Torontoise September 4, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Dianne, thank you so much for the links from the quarterly newsletter. So informative. I read RecipeGirl on regular basis but was unaware of the 150+ Food Blogging resources in her site.
Also, I signed up for the newsletter. Look forward to the Sept issue.
All the best!

diannejacob September 5, 2013 at 9:24 am

Yes, Lori did an unbelievable job on that list. You could spend days lost in those links. Thanks for signing up for the newsletter.

La Torontoise September 6, 2013 at 1:11 am

Dianne, I already spent my night reading stuff from that list:-)
It was so inspirational.

Sally - My Custard Pie September 4, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Your link lists are always useful Dianne – and I enjoy getting your quarterly newsletter too.

diannejacob September 5, 2013 at 9:26 am

I guess you’re seeing them a second time then, eh Sally? Sorry about that. There’ll be another list soon. And I’ll see you soon!

Joanie @ Zagleft September 5, 2013 at 5:20 am

Thank you so much for your links, Dianne. They are always so useful! I’m especially happy to see the link about Google Analytics, that’s one area I know I’m not spending enough time learning.

diannejacob September 5, 2013 at 9:27 am

Yes I learned a few things with that Google Ananytics list too. I like that it’s not in tech speak, which helps.

Greg Patent September 5, 2013 at 6:27 am

What a goldmine, Dianne. Just about all the links provide useful and even essential tips for drawing attention to one’s new book. And mine, on soufflés, will be coming out in the spring. As usual your generosity of spirit shines through.

diannejacob September 6, 2013 at 9:36 am

Perfect timing to read those links, Greg. I can’t wait to see your book. I have only made souffles a few times and I need some new ideas.

Julie @ Peanut Butter and Julie September 5, 2013 at 7:11 am

Thanks so much for all of these great resources, Dianne! I’m just about at the point where I need a dedicated “Will Write for Food” folder in my bookmarks — I’ve saved so much of your material for reference!

diannejacob September 6, 2013 at 9:37 am

Thanks Julie. I struggle with where to keep all these kind of things also. If you have a good system, let me know.

Judy @Savoring Today September 5, 2013 at 7:29 am

Truly, 10 great links. Thanks again for putting this together, it is so helpful.

diannejacob September 6, 2013 at 9:38 am

My pleasure, Judy. Happy reading.

Betty Ann @Mango_Queen September 5, 2013 at 8:07 am

What a great round up of very valuable links and info for writers. I love them and can’t pick which one is my favorite. But I do like your suggested link for keeping writers’ clips. I have been searching for the proper way to post mine digitally independent from my food blog. These are all great resources. Thanks for taking the time to put these together, Dianne. As always, much appreciated. I’ll sign up for the newsletter and share this post with friends right now.

diannejacob September 6, 2013 at 9:38 am

Thanks Betty Ann. That page of clip links looks pretty easy to set up, if you don’t have a website.

Susan Cooper September 5, 2013 at 8:22 am

This is awesome and I will definitely sigh up. I know many of these will be references for the future. for me. 🙂

diannejacob September 6, 2013 at 9:43 am

Now all you have to do is make time to click on all the links and read them, Susan.

Susan Cooper September 6, 2013 at 10:11 am

Indeed. I’ve already started. There are so many things to do and oh so little time. 🙂

Lisa September 5, 2013 at 8:44 am

Thanks so much for this list – many answers to my many questions! I already follow your blog, and your book “Will Write for Food” was the first thing I read when I was thinking about becoming a food blogger.

diannejacob September 6, 2013 at 9:39 am

I love hearing from people who read my book, and I hope you are still enjoying your blog. I’m entering my fifth year and find it very satisfying. Thanks Lisa.

Lizthechef September 5, 2013 at 10:05 am

This is such a generous gesture, Dianne – thank you. I can’t get the video to work, but will try again…You keep me busy reading!

diannejacob September 6, 2013 at 9:34 am

Aww thanks Liz. There just things I come across and save in a file. Sometimes people send me good links too.

I just checked the video and it works fine for me. Sorry you’re having trouble.

Judith Newton September 5, 2013 at 10:38 am

Thanks, Dianne! I’m definitely creating a file for all these links.

diannejacob September 6, 2013 at 9:34 am

Good idea, Judith. It will take you a little time to go through them all!

Kristine September 5, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Great round-up of resources. The real life facts about writing a cookbook were enlightening and the Google Analytics tips were extremely useful. This is the second time I’ve heard about clippings.me. Now it’s on my To Do list to check out. Thanks, Dianne.

diannejacob September 6, 2013 at 9:44 am

My pleasure, Kristine. Yes, I was impressed by how much Jennifer revealed in both those features. Even though I’ve written a few books, I learned a lot from her experience. Re Google Analytics, I am a very low tech person, so I need good posts like that too.

Elizabeth September 5, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Great resource. You are always generous. Thanks.

diannejacob September 6, 2013 at 9:45 am

You’re welcome. Thanks for saying so, Elizabeth.

Maureen C. Berry September 5, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Hi Dianne,

Great list!

I’ve got a question about #2. Would you use that site in lieu of creating a Media Kit?

diannejacob September 6, 2013 at 9:46 am

If you want an editor to write about your business, then you send a media kit. So it depends on why you’re contacting a publication, Maureen. But if you want to write a feature article, editors want to see what your qualifications are. The site gives them a quick way to see what kinds of stories you’ve written.

Jamie September 10, 2013 at 3:43 am

It’s funny, but I just saw this list the other day – was it in the newsletter? – and followed the link for the clippings website and will definitely be doing that. Thanks for always providing us with a wealth of information! x

Jamie September 10, 2013 at 3:45 am

Silly me… it was on this post…I just realized this wasn’t a new post. Now you can tell why I don’t have the time to do this kind of research myself (my head is always screwed on backwards).

L’Shana Tova, dear Dianne… and a sweet, healthy and prosperous new year.

diannejacob September 10, 2013 at 7:53 am

I can’t say I think of you as someone with her head screwed on backwards. Happy holidays to you as well, Jamie! XO

diannejacob September 10, 2013 at 7:52 am

Yes, if you are a subscriber, you already saw this list. Sorry about that. I figure many people didn’t have time to click on all the links anyway. You are always so through, Jamie!

Katie September 11, 2013 at 6:29 am

Lots of gems here, Dianne. Thank you for curating such a great list.

diannejacob September 11, 2013 at 7:44 am

You’re welcome. Now the trick is to find the right story angle, eh?

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: