10 More Links for Food Bloggers and Writers

Share:Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on Tumblr
Just thought I’d get your attention. These are pastries from Tartine Bakery in San Francisco.

A while ago I decided to start sharing links from my quarterly newsletter.

The post was so successful, ricocheting around Twitter and Facebook, that I’ve decided to post a list after each newsletter comes out.

So, in the meantime, sign up for the Will Write for Food newsletter. You’ll get only four emails per year, with the next one at the end of September. It’s filled with useful info for food writers, bloggers, recipe developers, cookbook authors and social media mavens. There are lots of links, not just the ones listed in my posts.

And now, here are 10 links from my most recent newsletter. They should keep you busy until my next newsletter arrives:

1. Sharing Recipes on Facebook, Pinterest, and Google+. Good advice on how to post recipes ethically and how to contact people who are violating copyright. On a similar theme, check out this piece on copyright myths.

2. Amy Sherman told me how she uses this site to manage her clips. It’s free. If you need a website where editors can see your work, this is a great idea.

3. How to (Really) Make $1,000,000 Selling E-Books: Real-World Case Studies. Forget the overblown title. If you want to make and sell an e-book, here’s a long post with tons of practical information.

4. Multiple award-winning writer David Leite divulges How to Liven Up Your Food Writing on video.

5. About to write a query letter to literary agents? See this post with 11 pitch letters that worked.

6. If you are a book author, you need to know about Goodreads (recently acquired by Amazon). It’s a powerful place to promote your books and some authors are on it daily.

7. Jennifer Bain caused a sensation when she revealed the details of her cookbook deal in the Toronto Star, followed by another feature about the photo shoot. There’s lots of inside information here that make both pieces worth a read.

8. The Association for Food Journalists recently updated its guidelines for food critics.

9. Think you know Google Analytics? Read 20 Must Know Tips and Tricks to Master Google Analytics Data to test your understanding or learn something new.

10. Bloggers Replace Mom’s Recipe Box as Source of Food Knowledge. Half of all consumers use social media sites to learn about food.

Comments

1. La Torontoise says

Dianne, thank you so much for the links from the quarterly newsletter. So informative. I read RecipeGirl on regular basis but was unaware of the 150+ Food Blogging resources in her site.
    Also, I signed up for the newsletter. Look forward to the Sept issue.
    All the best!

• diannejacob says

I guess you’re seeing them a second time then, eh Sally? Sorry about that. There’ll be another list soon. And I’ll see you soon!

2. says

Thank you so much for your links, Dianne. They are always so useful! I’m especially happy to see the link about Google Analytics, that’s one area I know I’m not spending enough time learning.

• diannejacob says

Yes I learned a few things with that Google Ananytics list too. I like that it’s not in tech speak, which helps.

3. says

What a goldmine, Dianne. Just about all the links provide useful and even essential tips for drawing attention to one’s new book. And mine, on souffl’e9s, will be coming out in the spring. As usual your generosity of spirit shines through.

• diannejacob says

Perfect timing to read those links, Greg. I can’t wait to see your book. I have only made souffles a few times and I need some new ideas.

• diannejacob says

Thanks Julie. I struggle with where to keep all these kind of things also. If you have a good system, let me know.

4. says

What a great round up of very valuable links and info for writers. I love them and can’t pick which one is my favorite. But I do like your suggested link for keeping writers’ clips. I have been searching for the proper way to post mine digitally independent from my food blog. These are all great resources. Thanks for taking the time to put these together, Dianne. As always, much appreciated. I’ll sign up for the newsletter and share this post with friends right now.

5. says

Thanks so much for this list – many answers to my many questions! I already follow your blog, and your book “Will Write for Food” was the first thing I read when I was thinking about becoming a food blogger.

• diannejacob says

I love hearing from people who read my book, and I hope you are still enjoying your blog. I’m entering my fifth year and find it very satisfying. Thanks Lisa.

• diannejacob says

Aww thanks Liz. There just things I come across and save in a file. Sometimes people send me good links too.

I just checked the video and it works fine for me. Sorry you’re having trouble.

6. says

Great round-up of resources. The real life facts about writing a cookbook were enlightening and the Google Analytics tips were extremely useful. This is the second time I’ve heard about clippings.me. Now it’s on my To Do list to check out. Thanks, Dianne.

• diannejacob says

My pleasure, Kristine. Yes, I was impressed by how much Jennifer revealed in both those features. Even though I’ve written a few books, I learned a lot from her experience. Re Google Analytics, I am a very low tech person, so I need good posts like that too.

• diannejacob says

If you want an editor to write about your business, then you send a media kit. So it depends on why you’re contacting a publication, Maureen. But if you want to write a feature article, editors want to see what your qualifications are. The site gives them a quick way to see what kinds of stories you’ve written.

7. says

It’s funny, but I just saw this list the other day – was it in the newsletter? – and followed the link for the clippings website and will definitely be doing that. Thanks for always providing us with a wealth of information! x

• says

Silly me… it was on this post…I just realized this wasn’t a new post. Now you can tell why I don’t have the time to do this kind of research myself (my head is always screwed on backwards).

L’Shana Tova, dear Dianne… and a sweet, healthy and prosperous new year.

• diannejacob says

I can’t say I think of you as someone with her head screwed on backwards. Happy holidays to you as well, Jamie! XO

• diannejacob says

Yes, if you are a subscriber, you already saw this list. Sorry about that. I figure many people didn’t have time to click on all the links anyway. You are always so through, Jamie!

Trackbacks